Quite a few people have asked me about my health lately, specifically my thyroid. Check out my older thyroid posts for background info.
A very quick update:
Slowly over the past two years, it has improved. Some of that is just the passage of time and it healing itself (as the condition tends to do), but the other part has been changing my diet. Jon and I went on a special diet a few times (with drops) and we both lost weight and felt great. But I still had a long way to go with feeling physically and mentally well consistently, day in and day out.
Late last year, my mom read this book called The Plan which helps you figure out what food is doing to you. Even some foods that are supposed to be good for you can cause adverse reactions in your body. In summary, you can have a delayed reaction that causes sleepiness, weight gain, bloating, yucky feeling, and several other symptoms. Stuff I was dealing with that compounded my thyroid issue.
So I've figured out that milk, yogurt, butter, ice cream, and spinach all cause major issues. Some are immediate and some are delayed. Milk and yogurt make me incredibly sleepy for hours. Ice cream and butter make me feel yucky, and I have to run to the bathroom within about five minutes. Spinach makes me gain weight. Isn't that weird?
I'm still figuring things out, but since Feb 2011 (my original Postpartum Thyroiditis diagnosis) I am 35 lbs lighter and feel about 75% better. I am even doing yoga at a studio and walking to and from Dallin's school without feeling tired. It's pretty amazing.
It's been a humbling journey that will probably continue. I've realized how important health is, and that lots of prayer and soul searching is a good thing and will lead one in the right direction.
1 comment:
I'm so glad you are feeling so much better! You look great! It has been a journey, and it has a lot to do with diet. I am finding thyroid affects my metabolism as well.
Post a Comment