Sydney is 12!
Quotable Sniders
Manuscript update:
Did I finish writing the novel based on my childhood growing up on the farm?
No, no I did not. I had wanted to finish by my birthday (yesterday) but you know, LIFE, and other excuses.
When I sit down to write a scene, they just flow out of me. I was writing about a particularly annoying chore on the farm, and I thought it would go one way but it went in another way better direction.
So, I feel good about what I have written. I wish I was faster. BUT it'll get done. Maybe by the end of the year????? That could be too ambitious. But if I only get 3/4 of the way done, well by golly I'll be pretty close to the end.
I'm trying to develop the "voice" of my fictional-based-on-a-real-person (me) substitute teacher for my someday book, Diary of a Sub.
I think I'll flip back and forth POVs, with the sub every other chapter, and a student the other chapters. Maybe.
Anyway... give me honest reactions to this little ditty.
Diary of a Sub, the fictional story
Day 1, Sixth grade math
I don’t think I’m cut out to be a substitute teacher.
It’s only 8:30 am on my first day and this classroom full of 6th graders have it out for me. That girl in the front row keeps staring at me. Like she could get up and run the class better. She probably could.
I call roll. Brett, Brenton, Brittney, Brinkley, Eva, Eva, Mia, Mya, Camden, Cayden, Carson, Christian, Jessie, Jack, Jackson, Jaxon, Jose, Jesus. Heaven help me.
The girl in the front row corrects each of my mispronunciations. Maybe I should just give her the roll and let her do it. And the lesson plans while I’m at it.
But could she get the boy in the back row to please stop throwing wads of paper and missing the wastebasket but saying, “Michael Jordan missed all the time” as if that somehow elevates his game.
Merry Cat-mas from the Sniders!
Our cat turns 19 next month. She meows loudly and aggressively. She’s still agile and extremely anti everyone except Jon.
All she wants for Christmas is for the dog to leave her alone and for me to sleep on the couch so she has zero competition for Jon. As you can tell, Jon enjoys two house Queens vying for his attention.
My 14yo told me yesterday:
One of the best things you tell us is, “you’ll figure it out.” 


Here is Brynn figuring out wrapping. I hate wrapping. Lol
My parents said that phrase to us all the time and my siblings are some of the most go-getter smarty pants I know.
I’m launching an all new Chore Chart for my kids! With even more chores than ever before. They’re going to be so surprised and I can’t wait to see their reaction!
It is with a heavy heart that I announce that I will no longer be substitute teaching. (Will I still write a book? Of course!)
But there is good news!
I’ve been looking for a consistent writing job since August, because freelance gigs have been down, subbing is exhausting, and my kids are older now. They need me but they’re also expensive, kwim?
So anyway. After crickets for a while, I finally finally had two job offers this week. Woot!!
Timing is funny, and how things come about is funny.
I had spruced up my resume to send out, and I informed a freelance client that I included her as a reference. The she was like, Wait! No! You should work for this other company and the writing position is being created right now!
And I was like, uhhhh ok. Sure! 

Long story short, I’m going full time remote! My dream!
My husband is going to be my new home office coworker, and he’s already making demands about how the curtains must be drawn during web meetings because of the constant Phoenix sun glare, and etc. I already have noise canceling headphones so I’m sure it will be fine.
Oh! The job is Copywriter for Cove Smart (Draper, Utah) and I start Monday.
God is like, see? And I’m like, not without bifocals but… yeah. 


First timers at Great Wolf Lodge.
The wave pool is my favorite.
And the water slides.
And seeing my kids be silly.
Thanks Mom 




I’m not the best pianist (mediocre at best), but I agreed to accompany our ward choir for Christmas Sunday. (Pianists are scarce in my congregation.)
Next came weeks of constant practicing on my own and with the choir. Playing tricky accompaniments that I had to adjust because they were too hard for my jumpy fingers. I was nervous because I would often make mistakes and lose my place (bifocals). But I felt the Spirit telling me it would all be ok.
It was more than ok.
Music really is a beautiful way to worship. And during O Holy Night, when the congregation joined the choir on the third verse, I was surrounded by powerful voices and hearts beating together in harmony. I felt wrapped up in His love.
It’s amazing to me.
Conversations with Justin (age 14)
Me: What are your feelings on blow up yard decor?
Justin: Waste of money, waste of air.
Justin: …… That’s probably what I’ll end up doing.









No comments:
Post a Comment