Friday, July 31, 2020

July 2020

 

Long story short... the flooring got water damage from a kitchen leak, but the flooring isn't made anymore. So they had to rip ALL OF IT OUT. We picked tile to put back in.


My dear friend was out of town and let us borrow her house for a while. 



Brynn at swimming lessons. 






The kids are ALWAYS crafting. 


I volunteer for the White Tank Mountain Conservancy writing articles for their blog. I went with a group to survey some fire damage.


It was an interesting process to count plants and describe them. 


Sydney's monster. She is so creative!



Happy Independence Day!


Reading spot. Why not?


Happy Anniversary! We ran off to Prescott, AZ for the weekend.



Watson Lake is super cool!






We stayed in a lovely Airbnb.


Hike close to where we stayed. Only saw one snake.


Masks are this normal now. 




Quotable Sniders

I went with a group to assess the fire damage at the White Tanks (fire was over a month ago). We climbed steep terrain and counted different plant species and recorded how damaged they were. I had the beginnings of heat stroke + vertigo but recovered after some rest in the shade of a rock. They’ve already done seed collection in another area of the White Tank Mountain Regional Park (desert flowers and bushes) and will spread it before the next rain—whenever that is. Now to write some stories about it all for the Conservancy blog.


One of my favorite stories in The Book of Mormon happens in 74 BC, when Alma learns that another people--who he calls "brothers"--have fallen away from the gospel. So he takes a few people with him to basically go spy on them... and what do they see?
This other people are going one by one onto a Rameumptom, or "holy stand" and saying the same prayer over and over. In essence they're saying, "We're so glad that we're the chosen ones and we're the best and this Christ person is not ever coming. And we're the best and everyone else is doomed. Amen."
How does Alma react?
He prays for comfort because he's sad, and he prays for strength and guidance to help the people soften their hearts.
He also says: "their souls are precious." Which was a great thing to teach to our kids this week.


This week we’re learning about faith. How it starts as small as a seed. Then another, and another...
Brynn: Like a farm....
Me: Yes!
Brynn: ... on Minecraft


Dallin is very teenagery lately
Like today, he made lemonade (out of real lemons)! But then...
He colored it green.


Miss you, Dad. I can't believe it's been one year.
Some days I'm overwhelmingly sad that you're gone.
But today I'm surprisingly happy because you're never very far away. Your influence continues.
I know where you are. And I'm so grateful.
Thanks for being the best dad in the whole wide world.


Brynn has been looking forward to swim lessons all summer!
AND she asks for home lessons from me every single time we get in our pool.
She needs to work on her listening skills. (She is like Forest Gump who runs without knowing where he’s going.)
BUT she has enthusiasm and smiles for dayzzzz.


Brynn: "I can't believe it's the end of the world. Hey mom, what does end of the world mean?"


Miracles still happen!!! I can’t even remember the last time it rained in Phoenix.
I spent about an hour outside getting soaked.
It was delightful.

No comments: