Saturday, September 30, 2017

September 2017

 Ahhhh we love having Fridays off! We spend a lot of time at the pool.


 Genius engineering with neighbor Aiden.
 Fair time!









Dole Whips are a must.





 Jon and Sharon doing genealogy.


Soccer season begins!


 Dallin traveled to Sugar City, Pocatello, Blackfoot, and Rexburg for games.


 I started teaching middle school journalism a few hours at a a week at my kids' charter school (it's an elective). I have a bunch of reporters and we're making a school newspaper! It's so much fun!


Dallin's math homework is all online.

 Train tracks by the library. She thinks it's the Daniel Tiger trolley tracks.


 Amber's at BYU-Idaho!!


 Apple picking at the neighbor's house. This boy loooooves apples.


 Typical bedtime.


 At Dallin's soccer game.


 The first issue! I had the students edit it.


Cub scouts. Justin was in a hilarious skit. (Pass the pepper... no! The toilet pepper!)



Quoteable Sniders

The first time I was in NYC was July 2002. I went to ground zero and saw a huge hole in the ground with workers still cleaning up debris. All the way around, tourists lined up along the fence and just stared down at the hole in silence. Fast forward to May 2017... Jon and I went to ground zero and there is a beautiful monument in its place. But the feeling is still the same. The events of 9/11/01 changed everything. I think as a nation tragedy brings us together, but the amount of evil that happened cannot be erased from memory. Today I told my journalism students that covering negative things is part of what journalists do, but that they should also LOOK FOR THE GOOD and report that. Give people hope.

If you are unsure whether food intolerance is a real thing, I get it. I used to be where you are. But here I am, a few years into experiencing it for myself (me and two of my kids). For each of us, after experiencing plenty of symptoms, it was obvious something was wrong. After a visit to the allergist (scratch test), nothing came up. So eliminating possible offending foods was the next step. It was obvious after taking away certain foods for a week and reintroducing them what was causing the issues. PAINFULLY obvious. I have two kids who when they eat gluten, they get sick to their stomachs and have to run to the bathroom quickly! For ME, it's gluten, dairy, all beans, and spinach, and it's more than just digestive issues, it's inflamation, brain fog, extreme exhaustion, etc. So avoiding those foods, while hard, was so WORTH IT. Fast forward.... even though I avoid gluten, dairy, beans, and spinach, I am having similar symptoms again. So I'm having a blood test tomorrow to see if they can find other possible food intolerances. They wanted me to eat ALL foods to see what comes up on the test. To be honest, part of me was excited to eat some things again (pizza!!!) but part of me was not looking forward to feeling more sick. This past week my symptoms have been: immediate stomach aches, nausea, phlemy throat, major bloating (can't fit my pants), gained weight, a very very confused digestive system (TMI), extreme sleepiness, moodiness, general yucky feeling, and on and on. YES food intolerance is a real thing. It's hard to diagnose. Even this blood test may not tell me everything, but it's a start. This is not what I want in my life, because it affects everything. I dislike being super diligent about every morsel that goes in my mouth, but if I want to feel well, and if I want my kids to feel well, it's required. It's definitely more time and expense. But being WELL is worth its weight in gold. To feel "normal" is all a sick person wants. No, I'm not dying. I don't have a disease per say, which makes it hard to explain to people. My body just rejects certain foods and then I feel yucky. So there ya go. If you think you might have a food intolerance, please PM me. You may not even realize how yucky you feel because it's been so long, or you just don't want to face having to give up certain foods. But feeling well is worth it. What you have is a REAL THING.

Blood draw #2 is done and will arrive in Florida tomorrow. Right? No hurricanes there, right???
So, they'll get the blood (pray they actually get it this time) and they'll test it for possible food issues beyond what I've been able to detect on my own. I've been eating gluten and dairy all week so it would show up in my blood for them to test.
Soooo glad to detox. Gluten and dairy no more! Olive Garden and Cafe Rio, it's been real!



No comments: