Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Service Video Project

Jon and I were asked by our stake leaders (in Mormon terms, that means several local congregations) to do a special video project. It will be shown in May at a Relief Society meeting (local Mormon women). The meeting's focus is "service" and so the video will be about different people who have had service shown to them.

We were nervous, but also excited about the project. We believe that everyone is given talents. God bestows gifts upon us, and they are for our benefit and learning. They are also used to enrich others' lives.

D&C 60:13 "....Thou shalt not idle away thy time, neither shalt thou bury thy talent that it may not be known."

Two of Jon's talents are shooting and editing video. He works producing commercials at a local TV station, so he uses his talents everyday and has been developing them for years. Two of my talents are writing and interviewing. I work as a freelance journalist, and I use my talents almost everyday, and I have been developing them for years. Combined together, I just love the creativity that comes into play.

I am so grateful for talents. Mine are so personal to me. I feel the Spirit every time I use my talents. I feel peaceful and happy. I've also seen Jon in action using his talents, and he amazes me. Talents really are gifts from God.

Jon and I completed our first interview for the video a few days ago. Sitting in the room talking with the interviewees, the Spirit was so strong. We all had tears in our eyes. I had no fears about whether we were going to do a good job with the technical aspect of the project, I just felt that we had the God-given talent and also the experience to be able to accomplish the task. Because of that, we were able to focus on the meaning of it all.

The ultimate goal is to help bring across the spirit of service to those who will watch it. Listening to the amazing stories about service, I don't think that will be a problem!