Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Jon and Carrie Love Story, part 25

Broadway.

I had always appreciated the arts, and even seen a few locally produced shows, but little did I know just how much broadway would become a part of my life.

To know Jon is to love broadway. Because they are one in the same.

In high school Jon discovered the drama department. With an incredible singing voice and a personality that begged to be on stage, it was a perfect fit for him. He appeared in many high school musicals, and eventually he was in several community shows as well.

I remember when I first moved to Yakima, I was invited to a party at Jon's cousin's house. It was a mystery dinner of sorts. Jon would have been there, but I recall them saying that Jon was in a production of Godspell.

Broadway was obviously a big part of his life. And so early on in our relationship, Jon introduced me to his other love-- broadway.

We watched recordings of all of the shows he had been in. He was good. He was realllly good.

We listened to broadway music in his car. He sang. I loved his voice.

Slowly, I was learning the words. Eventually were singing together.

Later, two days after we got married, Jon tried out for a community musical. On our honeymoon, the director left a message--he had got the part! But of course he didn't have to start rehearsal until he got home. He spent those first few weeks of marriage practicing for a musical. I was there almost all the time, listening and also working on publicity for the show.

Now we've been to several musicals together.

We still sing them in the car. There is even one we saw that has a silly girl and guy part--and once it starts playing we are ready for our duet.

People who see us from the other lane must think we are nuts. And they'd be right.

Jon recently found a website that marries his two loves-- Spanish and musicals-- and so late in the evening, when he is relaxing from a long day, he listens and sings.

Oh broadway.  >>Continue to part 26

No comments: