Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Jon and Carrie Love Story, part 24

The Sacred Grove.

I had been there in July of 2001, right after graduating BYU. I took a two-week LDS Church History trip from Boston to Missouri, hitting all the highlights in between. Probably what I was most looking forward to was the Sacred Grove and other spots in Palmyra, New York. This is where it had all began. This is where the Church was restored.

So I had seen it that summer, on a humid July day in New York state. The bugs were out that day, biting any exposed flesh. Tourists were everywhere, but even with so many people around I had felt such a sense of peace. I contemplated what had happened so many years ago; what faith it had taken Joseph Smith to ask God if any of the churches were true. Then to have the faith to follow God and restore his Church to the earth again.

At the time, it all made my problems and hang ups in life seem so trivial.

So here I was again, three years later, returning to New York state for a convention. It was February and bitter cold. On the ground was several feet of snow. But I couldn't pass up the chance. In between meetings, I rented a car and headed to Palmyra and the Sacred Grove for the second time.

A lot had happened in the last three years--moving to Yakima, meeting Jon, and now being engaged. It was an exciting time in my life. I remember thinking, had I made the right decision?

Even if you feel like you know the answer to something, it seems like just a little shadow of doubt creeps in. I don't know if that's human nature or Satan trying to sway you or what not... but it seems to be there.

It didn't take long to think about. Any doubt I had, I pushed it away. I knew what I wanted to do. Marrying Jon--there was no question about it. It was the right decision. But still I wanted to walk into the Sacred Grove and think about it. I was there! At the grove! How cool was that.

I drove up. The roads were clear, the sun hid behind some clouds, and me with just my work clothes, dress shoes, and a coat. No hat, gloves, snow boots. Actually what I needed was a snow plow. Why had I not anticipated this? The cold, cold February weather?

I parked my car and trudged through the snow. It was treacherous. I walked from my car to the Smith cabin, to the frame home, and then up the lane to the grove. It's not a long walk, really, but when snow is creeping into your socks, you are having trouble just stepping forward because your feet sink several inches, and there isn't anyplace to stop and get warm... it felt pretty far.

But I had to be there. I pressed ahead, and eventually I couldn't feel the cold anymore. It was such a special place. There is such a special feeling there. I wanted Jon to be there with me.

But I was all alone. Not a soul in the world was there but me.

It was beautiful. Snow covered the trees, the trail. It was so calm and serene. I thought, prayed, looked a my ring again, and took pictures. It was marvelous. I walked slowly back to my car. I really didn't want to leave. If you could always feel so calm, so peaceful, so happy... wouldn't you stay in that place?

I know it's only a place, though. And you don't have to visit there to feel that peace. That peace is the Gospel. I knew that. I knew I could feel that peace at any time. Amidst the hustle and bustle of life, of work and deadlines and major decisions and even planning a wedding, I could call upon that peace at anytime and feel the Spirit. In so many ways then, it saved me.

I traveled home even more happy than before. My mind was clear. I was excited for the next phase in my life. >>Continue to part 25

No comments: