Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Jon and Carrie Love Story, part 17

When you're falling in love, you still have to get up, go to work, eat, sleep, and all those other annoying things you have to do just to live day to day.

But oh, to fall in love!

It's hard to describe the feeling of falling in love. But I realized pretty quickly why the term was "falling." Sort of like how you fall alseep... your body submits to some other power and then is in a trans-like state. To me, falling in love is similar.

First, you're in total control of yourself. Then suddenly you're not. And it's heavenly (even for a control freak like me).

I was still falling at this point, and wasn't really to the "love" part yet. But I think Jon was there already. He seemed so confident, focused, and giddy. Painfully giddy! Which of course is the true mark of someone in love.

Wednesday night was Institute class again. Usually I drove up and walked in along. This time would be different. For the first time at a Singles Branch activity, Jon and I walked in.... together.

Now, if you remember, Jon's friends were the polar opposite of my friends (see Part 7). Jon's friends = loud and crazy and preppy, and Carrie's friends = reclusive and funny and grungy. And typically, the two sides did not cross paths.

But that had all become irrelevant.

We were hand in hand, and pretty soon, sitting down in the classroom Jon's arm was around my shoulder. We shared a set of scriptures and listened to the lesson.

Only no one else was listening. Everyone was staring at us.

At first it was wide eyes and dropped jaws. Then quizzical looks turned to dumbfounded looks. Finally, people were whispering to each other.

"Oh my gosh! Jon is with Carrie! When did that happen?"

Apparently, we had forgotten to tell anyone at the Singles Branch about "us" (my roommate and her fiance knew, and of course match maker Tori.... but that was pretty much it). But really, it hadn't been that long. It felt like ages but it had been one week.

A friend later told me her thoughts on the subject: "At first I was like, no way! And then I thought about it and it totally made sense. You two are made for each other."

If by what she meant was "opposites attract" then yes, we certainly were made for each other.

At this point we hadn't been tagged boyfriend/girlfriend yet by anyone, including ourselves. But pretty soon we wouldn't need to. Pretty soon, we would skip right over that part. >>Continue to part 18

No comments: