Friday, April 16, 2010

The Jon and Carrie Love Story, part 15

What does one do when they have met the love of their life, spent a wonderful week getting to know them, and then going on a splendid date that ends with a first kiss?

Leave town. Quickly.

Ok, ok not really. Before Jon and I became joined at the hip, my roommate June and I had already planned a weekend getaway. But looking back, I believe the time Jon and I spent away ended up being good for us. We would have the space to think separately about what was to come.

Anyway, I was looking forward to it a girly weekend. Saturday morning, June and I rode to Portland in June's beat up old minivan. (Oh the stories I could tell about that minivan!) It was relaxing, with the quiet inside and a little drizzle outside.

My thoughts turned to the whirlwind of a week. Really? What had just happened? It was January 2004, and I was falling in love. And there wasn't anything I could do about it.

June and I spent much of the day in a big mall, shopping around department stores. June was a marathon shopper and was as focused as a gazelle. I was mostly just there, floating around.

Only about 10 billion times that day, Jon would call.

We browsed the shoes. Jon call count = 1
We browsed the handbags. Jon call count = 2
We browsed ladies apparel. Jon call count = 3
And on and on and on. *Rinnnngggg*

Normally I would have turned my phone off at such interruptions. What kind of guy would call me 10 billion times in one day? We had just spent the week together. Couldn't the guy live without me for one weekend?

Apparently not. And it was actually rather sweet. *Carrie smiles*

Every time the phone rang, I'd giggle as softly as possible and say "Helllloooo" in that annoying way love birds say things to each other. It was so pathetic. It was so unlike me. But I didn't care.

Our shopping day was rapidly ending, and June had found her pink leather jacket. Success! It fit like a glove and we headed to my aunt's for the night.

I think the next morning we attended the local Singles Branch in Portland with my cousin Betsy. Funny, I wasn't sure if moving away from Yakima was even on my agenda anymore (see my thoughts on moving in Part 9). Normally I would have scoped out the local men, but this time was different.

I can't remember when we headed back to Yakima. But it was a three-day weekend and there wasn't anything pressing we needed to get back for. At least, until Jon called.... 10 billion more times.

"When are you coming back?"

"I don't know! Whenever!"

"My mom's here. Can you have dinner Monday night?"

Meet his mom? Already? >>Continue to part 16

1 comment:

Tori Bella said...

Um, first of all Venezia wasn't on First Street first - it was on Nob Hill and then it moved to Venezia. And I miss their gnochi soooooo badly. And their bow tie chicken penne pasta. YUM!

And I haven't logged into blogger for four days - but I loved it. Loved it.