Saturday, December 19, 2009

December 2009

Cable Bridge 10k in Pasco

Quick recap: I started running in February, beginning with the Couch to 5k program. After two 5k races this summer, then working up to 8.5 miles, I developed knee pain. I took a break, got some new shoes, and started back again strong in December.

Today: I wasn't sure if I'd be ready in time for a 10k on Dec. 19, but last Saturday I did pretty well at 6 miles (and let me tell you, it was around 10-20 degrees all week and I felt it) and so I registered. Here I am at the glamorous parking area of the race in Pasco. In the back you can see the cable bridge where the race started.




This was my first time using a "time chip" as you can see on my right shoe. This was also a much bigger race than I had ever been in-- there were people everywhere! Some sported Santa/elf get ups, there was one cow with a bell, and one older gentleman ran in nothing but shorts that said, "Ho ho ho" on his rear end!

They started the race by lifting Santa up in a crane, then we all took off up the bridge. It was a bit of a climb, but it was fun to run across! Most of the participants were in the 5k, so us in the 10k weaved around a different route after that. Half of it was through trails like I'm used to, and the other half was on roads through industrial areas.

Here is a picture of the bridge from the Tri-City Herald's Cable Bridge Run 2009 gallery.

I am not usually one to push myself physically, but running has taught me that the human body is capable of a lot more than we give it credit for. I kept a good pace throughout, but unlike my previous races, at times I picked up speed in the middle. There were quite a few more hills, but they didn't slow me down too much.

Through every mile, I felt great. I was so happy, I was smiling. As I passed the race helpers, such as those with timers who let passing runners know the time, I high fived them all. Something I've also learned through running is how attitude and mental state affect your mind. While training and working hard are extremely important, having the right state of mind is essential.

My goal was to finish at 75 minutes, and at first I wasn't sure if I could do it. But as I passed the mile markers and heard the times, I was amazed, and then I really just enjoyed the process. The last mile was a little hard, but I pulled up sprinting and finished at 71 minutes!

What a great race!


Here is what else happened this month:

 Spanish Branch activity


Christmas


 

SNOW!


Quotable Sniders

Ummmm can the snow stop already? Helllooo!

Carrie Snider updated her status.
had German chocolate for breakfast. Thanks mom!

Kids didn't wake up until 10am... ahhh sweet toddlers. Now they are occupied with their gifts for the rest of the day.

is heading out to the KIMA Christmas Party-- always full of entertainment, interesting prizes, and Dane calling Jon "Peter Brady" for wearing polos.

Holy Snow Dump, Batman!

Jon drove us around to look at Christmas lights last night, it was awesome! My favorite was on Hegel Ct. in Selah. As you listen to music on the radio, the lights dance and a little dog sings! Hegel Ct. is off of W Pear Ave., west of N. 14th Street.

6 miles baby! And only 15 degrees outside.

I think running while pushing a double stroller should be its own sport! Got 5 miles in today.


It's really sad when I get excited that it's supposed to "warm up" to the 30s in a few days!

Went 4 miles today and felt great! Now I can have ice cream with no guilt. :)

Carrie Snider updated her status.
is scanning Jon's mission photos. ALL of them. :)
.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow that is a long time to be running. Great job. Your so awesome!!!

Karin said...

Awesome Carrie!! I've also recently started running. Wish that you lived closer and you could help push me a little.

Casey Redd Kennington said...

Nice, nice, nice! I'm so proud....

Vanessa said...

You are so awesome. I'm glad you had fun even though it was freezing! You go girl!

Tori Bella said...

Yay, CK!!