October wouldn't be complete without Apple Pressing!
One of the best things about living in apple country is --the apples!
Every year our friend brings us a truck full of apples and we press them using Jon's family's old-time apple press. Here are the apples getting a "bath" before show time.
The press is an interesting contraption--with a motor added in its later years for convenience. Whole, clean apples are thrown into the hopper on top, then chopped into tiny bits. The wooden-slatted bucket catches it below.
A close up of the bucket. Inside is a thick, porous fabric so only the juice can come through, while the apple bits remain inside.
Jon twists the hand crank to force the juice out.
Look at that juice flow! Have you seen anything quite so beautiful? Another fun part of apple pressing--the smell. It is simply divine.
Jon is a master at his work.
Once the juice is extracted, the leftover apple bits are thrown out of the fabric, then the whole process starts over again until the apples are gone. The fruits of our labors. Nothing added, nothing taken away.
We freeze a lot of it in these plastic jars. Believe me, they don't last long!
Also in October:
To Grandmother Sharon's we go!!!
Recently we took a quick weekend trip to Grandma Sharon's house. We had so much fun! Dallin spent a lot of time chasing Buddy around. Poor kitty!
Grandma Sharon showed Dallin how to make Monkey Munch and we spent the rest of the time eating it!














5 comments:
I love apples, too! My grandparent's farm (now belongs to my uncle) is an apple orchard. And this is harvest time! I love this time of year & I love everything about apples, especially that amazing smell when they are pressed. :-) Looks like lots of fun!
oh yum!!
What a fun time! That is seriously a fun family activity.
Those apples look so cool in those first 2 pictures. It looks like a lot of hard work. I'm a little worried though you are getting rid of the best part of the apple. I like juice, but I rather have dried apples! I could eat those all day! It's okay don't be sad, go drink your juice!
I remember apple pressing for the single's ward at the Watkins' house. Fun times.
Post a Comment