Saturday, June 3, 2017

NYC Day 4

On the Way to Central Park


 Fun fact: My and Conrad's mom sang at Carnegie Hall with a local choir group way back when I was 13.

Another fun fact: Jon loves/obsesses over the movie North By Northwest, and part of it happened inside the Plaza Hotel. This was a really fancy part of NYC, probably because it's right by the beautiful Central Park.

Central Park

WOW! We were thoroughly impressed. We probably only saw 1/4 of the park, but what we saw was quite lovely. At times we forgot we were surrounded by huge buildings. It was fun to just wander. We especially loved the huge rocks.




















American Museum of Natural History

From here we went to the American Museum of Natural History, which is on one side of the park. It was full of different exhibits from the history of people to the history of the Earth.









There were tons of these scenes... taxidermy animals posed in natural settings. So cool!



After this, Conrad and Sarah went off to Little Italy and Chinatown. Jon and I went back to Times Square, where we tried to get cheap same-day tickets to a Broadway show (since our Jimmy Falon tickets were surrendered because of Fleet Week). Well, we could get way cheaper tickets online, so we ended up buying tickets to Cats! Backrow nosebleed. :)


Italian Food

It was afternoon by now, so we were hungry. We did a search for Italian food and found this wonderful place.


When a gluten-free, dairy-free person (me) looks at a menu, typically we cry a little. We aren't always sure what to eat, because pretty much everything is breaded or is cooked in butter. So I told the waiter my requirements.

"We can cook the gluten-free pasta for you with garlic and olive oil. What do you want on it?"

I listed my requirements, and then cried with happiness when he brought it to me.

Behold:

Sausage. Mushrooms, Peppers, Onions. The best gluten-free noodles I'd ever tasted.

This is my happy face.

Oh, and Jon got this weird-looking ink noodle dish. But he said it was good too.




Cats!

After a rest at the Airbnb (so glad we had one so close to Broadway), Jon and I set off to see Cats!

Cats summary:

A musical by Andrew Lloyd Weber based on TS Elliot's poems about cats. It's basically a bunch of people dressed as cats who sing and dance. The music is fun and quirky. The dancing is really what you come to appreciate! The basic overall story is about which Cat will get chosen at the yearly ball to get a new life. But mostly it just highlights the different personalities of all the different cats who converge in the junkyard. There are lots of funny cat references that made us laugh. Also, we are pretty sure our cat is the old cranky one in the show.

I loved the Elvis cat! He really milked his part (ha ha). And the fat cat that tap danced.


 



Continue to NYC Day 5>>>


3 comments:

Debihen said...

I want to go pack and see more of Central Park. We were there in winter, and didn't venture any farther in than Strawberry Fields since we happened to be there on anniversary of John Lennon's death. About 490 people gatherer there with guitars and everyone was singing Lennon's songs but was great. But I'm sorry we didn't see more of the park.

Debihen said...

I have no idea how I typed 490. I meant 300!

Carrie Snider said...

That sounds so cool!