Monday, April 12, 2010

The Jon and Carrie Love Story, part 6

To this day, I've never had a boyfriend.

In high school I dated quite a bit; my LDS guy friends were awesome and would take a lot of us out on group dates. We had fun and developed wonderful friendships.

At BYU I dated here and there. I was really out of my element there, and I felt awkward much of the time. For the most part, I was too busy writing news articles in the journalism program to spend much time on my love life. I figured "it would happen when it happened" and I didn't need to focus on it. I felt a lot of pressure as an LDS person to get married, and especially being at BYU where I was surrounded by 30,000 other LDS students who were either married, engaged, or want to be either of those, it was hard to escape the mentality. Deep down inside, I really wanted it for myself, too, though I tried not to show it.

After BYU, during my jobs at the costume shop, Deseret News, and camp in PA, I dated not at all.

Then came Yakima.

After taking the rental car to my hometown, and packing the rest of my stuff into my own car, I reluctantly returned to Yakima and went to work Monday morning. My career as a magazine editor had just started. But I was also eager to make friends and have a social life.

Monday night I walked into the church where the local Singles Branch was holding Family Home Evening, where a lesson and activity ensued. I introduced myself to a few people and had a look at the males I had to choose from. Hmmm. Slim pickins.

Meanwhile, I finally found a place to call my own that was neither scary nor communal. It was a basement apartment close to the church and my work. It had a fireplace and one bedroom and probably the cutest little kitchen and living room you ever saw. Within 5 minutes of seeing it, I asked if I could move in. The owner was a nice lady whose husband had recently died. She was so kind to me, and she even invited me out to karaoke (where I sang a solo for the first time... "Goodbye Earl" turned out to be a big hit that night!). Things were finally looking up.

This was the first time in my life I had ever lived alone. I actually liked it. I like to be alone with my thoughts, and to this day I need some down time to be able to think. I scoped out yard sales (apparently they are quite popular in Yakima) and found some unique furniture to decorate my place. It was fun and for the most part I was happy. But I was lonely. I prayed to Heavenly Father to send me a friend.

I wouldn't have to wait long. I attended my first Institute class, which is the LDS single adult equivalent of seminary class (religious studies like scriptures, prophets, marriage, etc) on a Wednesday night. I got there early and sat down. The teacher began the lesson and in walked someone who appeared to be loud and obnoxious (remember, these types of people flock to me) and plunk! She sat down right by me and started to chat.

"HEY! Where are you from? Ontario?? Do you know SKYE????"

I could barely get a word in, and I was trying to pay attention to the lesson anyway, but I had no idea what she was walking about. Then I realized, she didn't hear me say I was from the Ontario in Oregon, not Canada. I drew a map.

We laughed. She was embarrassed. But laughed some more. I liked this girl, crazy as she was. Tori would become one of my best friends ever, helping me survive my time in a new town. And as it turned out, Tori would become instrumental in leading me and Jon to the marriage alter. >>Continue to Part 7

4 comments:

Melanie said...

I just read the last three installments...can't wait for the rest. This makes me want to do this about my "love story".

BTW, I have some friends here in Lubbock who are moving to Yakima...he is graduating from law school in May and has a job there...I think his parents live there now. Maybe you'll be in the same ward?

jayna said...

sweet!! keep it comin... ;)

Tori Bella said...

And this is coming from a perpetual institude skipper! :)

"And she comes from a place they call America!" Woot, woot, sky rocks.

Remember how you agreed to go see that scary movie for Halloween with me even though you hated scary movies?! And luckily for you, I got super sick!

Carrie Snider said...

Melanie-- We're in the Spanish branch so I'm not sure... LOL. If they need any advice about housing or what not, give them my email address (carrieksnider@gmail.com).

Jayna-- maybe tonight! or tomorrow.

Tori-- LOL YES I was so desperate to make friends. I was soooo glad you were sick. Hah.