My grandpa was dying.
His heart condition was getting worse, and they expected him to go anytime. He was my mom's dad, the grandpa who lived far away and I didn't know as well. He was quiet, strong, extremely smart, and very spiritual. The father of seven daughters (my mom was #3), he worked as an engineer for Hughes Aircraft. He served as a stake president, temple recorder, and finally a temple sealer. He had sealed my brother and his wife the year before, and he would have been our sealer.
I was sad, but mostly for my mom. It wouldn't be long until my parents would be going down to the funeral.
As people close to you die, it makes you have a greater appreciation for the Plan of Salvation. Jesus Christ suffered and died for us so we could all be together after this life. If we make the right choices, we can even live with Him. I had no doubt that my Grandpa Redd was someone who would be in heaven. In that, I found comfort.
Life went on, as it usually does.
Jon and I spent nearly every waking moment together, outside work (though we'd visit each other at work) and sleep (though Jon was known to take naps on my couch on occasion).
Jon had just been promoted from radio commercial sales to radio promotions, meaning he organized contests and got things ready for radio remotes. We showed me the DJ booths, how the computer system worked with playing songs on the radio, I met the DJ's, etc. It was fun.
We also listened to a lot of music. And for some reason, when we were listening to Delilah in the evenings while we were.... well you know.... smooching... the same song would play without fail.
Tiny Dancer by Elton John.
It became a joke between us, that somehow Delilah KNEW we were out there in Yakima making out. We'd always laugh and sing along.
Hold me closer tiny dannnnncccer!!!!
Eventually we decided it would be our First Dance song at our wedding (Note: While we like this song, this turned out to be a bad idea. Do you know how freakin' long this song is? Yeah, we didn't notice, either.)
Wedding. Oh yeah. Jon still hadn't asked yet.
I gave him pictures of rings that I liked. But it would be up to him to choose one for me. >>Continue to part 23
No comments:
Post a Comment