BEFORE:
So the other day we rented a rototiller and Jon worked hard to expand the flower bed area (and tilled in the 8 or so wheel barrow fulls of dirt and leaves I dumped there). We figured a lot of nice flowers would look better than yellow grass! I transplanted some lilies and iris from the side yard, some other sun-loving plants from my neighbor's yard, plus two echinacea plants I bought at Bi-mart. I just planted them two days ago, but they seem to be doing ok.
DURING:

Here is another part of the yard that is pretty much dead. The sprinkler seems to hit it just fine, but we figure that the water just drains into the street right away, so the grass there never stays very wet.
BEFORE:
So we also took the rototiller to it and made a nice corner to put some desert loving plants (cuttings from my other lavender plants to be exact).
DURING:

We still have a lot to do, like remove the grass clumps, smooth out the dirt, and maybe add lawn fabric and bark as well as a border. All in good time! Meanwhile, the plants can grow and fill in the area. I try not to spend too much on plants (it's a weakness!) but I'll probably give in and buy a few more to plant there.
5 comments:
It looks good.
Fabric and mulch is great! You'll be glad you did it. In the meantime to keep weeds down you might try using grass clippings from your lawn or other's lawns- I actually steal my neighbor's grass clipping bags. Once a week everyone puts their lawn refuse out for pick up so it's an easy and dependable source.
I like what you did! Ornamental grasses are always good. and some mainstay foundational plants. I spend all my extra time out in the yard too; that and editing. Come to think of it, our days probably go very similarly Carrie. :)
Oh! Wait another thing to try is caseron- I haven't tried it yet, but I hear it works amazingly
It's looking good! we haven't done anything to our yard since we moved in, and we really need to.
It already looks better than when we were visiting. I am like you, I can't resist plant nurseries & spend way too much on perennials.
Post a Comment